Bull Fight is known for serving grilled seafood items and for its great variety of steaks. The food is priced at the higher end and a meal at this downtown restaurant will generally cost you from NT$400 to NT$500, but the high quality generally justifies it.
There’s a salad bar inside the restaurant and the pastas are appealing. Even if you’re not into meat, it’s worth checking the place out as their choice of salads is quite impressive and, at about NT$200 each, quite cheap.
- Opening Hours: Monday–Friday from 11am to 2pm and 5pm to 10pm, Saturday–Sunday from 11am to 10pm
- Location: No. 79, Wufu 3rd Road, Qianjin District, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan, 801
- Tel: +886 (0)7 281 0051
Liouho Night Market
If you are looking to pick up food at dirt cheap rates, there is no better place than one of the numerous night markets in Kaohsiung. Liouho Night Market is one of the most popular and is especially known for its amazing food. This market offers an interesting mix of dishes at decent rates, ranging from stuffed pork and Tofu Pudding to some really interesting seafood. Dishes are available for as low as NT$15 and buffets cost between NT$50 and NT$100.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 6pm to late
- Location: Liuhe 2nd Road, Xinxing District, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan 800
One of the most popular addresses in Kaohsiung, Smokey Joe’s is known for its great and affordable food. The menu is interesting and the staff well versed in English. Located near the city centre, with a second branch in Zuoying District, the restaurant serves very good Tex-Mex meals. The fajitas are particularly tasty.
There are a number of deals on offer here, from VIP cards to discount offers on bills upwards of NT$1,000 and a lot of goodies that you can take away.
- Opening Hours: Monday–Friday from 11am to 2.30pm and 5.30pm to midnight, Saturday–Sunday from 11am to midnight
- Location: No. 208, Zhongxiao 1st Road, Xinxing District, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan 800
- Tel: +886 (0)7 281 6123
The Spice Shop
The Spice Shop is an Indian restaurant with a well-deserved reputation for excellent food and service. The restaurant itself looks fairly bland, particularly when compared to other restaurants in Kaohsiung within the same sort of price range, yet the quality of the cuisine keeps people coming back for more.
Each dish will cost you about NT$150 to NT$300, putting it towards the higher end of the price scale. It’s also important to note that the famously spicy Indian dishes haven’t been toned down for the local palate, so be prepared for properly hot curries.
- Opening Hours: Wednesday–Monday from 11.30am to 2.30pm and 5pm to 9.30pm, Tuesdays from 5pm to 9.30pm
- Location: No. 508, Mingcheng 2nd Road, Zuoying District, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan 813
- Tel: +886 (0)7 558 5709
The Yaletown Bistro offers delicious, quality food with a Canadian spin. Enjoy delicious paninis, generous salads and smoked sausages, as well as the iconic Canadian poutine. Wash them down with a yogurt or organic soy smoothie.
This cosy restaurant is styled after Vancouver's trendy Yaletown district. Free Wi-Fi and a foosball table are available for entertainment.
- Opening Hours: Wednesday–Monday from 11.30am to 8.30pm (Saturdays and Sundays until 9pm)
- Location: No. 26-3, Xinguang Road, Lingya District, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan 802
- Tel: +886 (0)7 334 1257