Dongmen Night Market
The Dongmen Night Market, right in the middle of the Yilan City, comes alive at 5pm and operates till late. If you exit from the train station and turn right, you’ll find it underneath the overpass just 1 block away. Much like any other Taiwanese night market, it’s filled with a large number of people, wafting scents of delicacies, and lots of cheap and reasonable shopping items. Yilan’s night markets differ in having the reputation as the friendliest in Taiwan.
There are 2 things that must be tried among the many foods like stuffed duckling, tofu, and mutton. First are scallion pancakes, which are thicker than normal pancakes and fried in quite a lot of oil. Second is an old-fashioned drink known as yaoyaobing, which is really a mixture of slushy ice and flavoured juices. This drink used to be prevalent throughout Taiwan, but it’s now unique to Yilan.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 5pm to midnight
- Location: Shenghou Street, Yilan City, Yilan County, Taiwan 260
Mr. Balagov is an Eastern European café which remains open until quite late, by Yilan standards. It's near the intersection at Yilan University on Nongquan Road. It brings alternative cuisine to a place dominated by local food joints.
- Opening Hours: Friday–Monday from 11.30am to 9pm (closed from 3pm to 5pm on Fridays and Mondays)
- Location: No. 168-1, Section 2, Fuxing Road, Yilan City, Yilan County, Taiwan 260
- Tel: +886 (0)3 935 1655
Shasha is one of very few bars in Yilan City, making it quite popular among the expat population. It is close to the train station and stays open until late, providing good drinks at reasonable prices.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 6pm to 2am
- Location: Luna Plaza, No. 38-6, Yilan City, Yilan County, Taiwan 260
- Tel: +886 (0)3 933 0668